Quiche du jour means “quiche of the day” in French with whatever ingredients you have at the moment, or prefer. Quiche du jour can be served hot or cold, and you can have it as a meal (usually breakfast or brunch ), or as an appetizer.
Quiche, in and of itself originated back in the 17th century in France. Cheese wasn’t added as a filling to it until later on . It became popular as a way to use up leftovers.
Quiche du jour is delicious, easy to make and versatile, and you can make it by adapting to suit your specific dietary needs.
You can use any toppings you like when making quiche du jour such as ham, bacon, sausage, spinach, mushrooms, onion, tomato, olives, etc… However, for this particular recipe we are going to use ham, sweet potato and spinach. You can add more, or omit any that you prefer.
You can make this particular Quiche Du Jour, you will be using 10 ingredients and 12 steps.
The Ingredients Needed To Make Quiche Du Jour:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. (You can adjust the amount according to your taste).
- Prepare 1 pk cubed or diced ham
- 1 cup of shredded cheese. ( You can use any type of cheese you like, such as cheddar, Swiss, Gruyere, feta, etc..).
- Make ready Crushed red pepper flake (optional)
- Garlic and herb seasoning. (You can use any herbs and spices you like for this recipe, such as parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, nutmeg, paprika, etc.. You can also either use fresh or dried herbs and spices).
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream or milk. ( You can use any type of milk you like, such as whole, skim, or almond milk).
- 1 can Spinach drained
- 1 medium sweet potato (cubed)
- 1 pastry crust
Instructions To Make Quiche Du Jour:
- Chop and cube sweet potato, and ham.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Lightly grease your pie dish.
- Roll out your pastry crust on a lightly floured surface and fit it into your pie dish. Trim off any excess dough and prick the bottom and sides with a fork.
- Bake your pastry crust for 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over the bottom of your pastry crust. You can use any type of cheese you like, such as cheddar, Swiss, Gruyere, feta, etc…
- In a large bowl, whisk together 4 eggs, 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream or milk, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and any herbs or spices you like until it’s well blended.
- In that same bowl add your spinach, sweet potato, ham, cheese, and seasonings
- Sprinkle any toppings you like over the cheese layer. ( You can use any toppings you like, such as ham, bacon, sausage, spinach, mushrooms, onion, tomato, or olives).
- Pour the egg mixture over the toppings layer and spread it evenly.
- Bake your quiche du jour for 25 to 35 minutes or until the filling is set and the crust is golden.
- Let your quiche du jour rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
You can make quiche du jour with just about any type of ingredients whether it be meat, seafood or vegetables, and / or any combination of them. You can also make quiche du jour gluten-free by making it crustless and using a non-stick pie dish.
As I stated, before, Quiche Du Jour can be made as a breakfast, brunch, or appetizer. If you’re looking for another great appetizer, try our “Nachos With Jalapenos” recipe. Otherwise, enjoy this savory French delicacy!