Chili con carne bowl consists of chili con carne, which is made up of beef, beans, tomatoes, and spices, served in a bowl that is a round bread loaf that is hollowed out. Chili con carne bowl is not only a fun way to eat chili, but a filling one too.
You can scoop up the chili with the bread and eat the whole thing. Chili con carne bowl is also great for parties or any even that involves a large number of people, as you can make a large batch of chili, and simply serve it in individual bread bowls.
Chili con carne bowl is not the healthiest of foods in the world, but it does have some benefits that you may not be aware of. It’s is high in protein from the beef and beans, and it’s also high in fiber, iron, and vitamin C from the other ingredients.
Making chili con carne bowl at home is very easy, and it’s fun to do. You only need a few ingredients and a large pot or slow cooker. You can also customize your chili with your favorite toppings and sauces.
To begin with this particular recipe, we have to prepare a few components. You can make chili con carne bowl using 19 ingredients and 12 steps.
The Ingredients Needed To Make Chili Con Carne Bowl:
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. (You can use more or less depending on your spice tolerance and preference).
- Black pepper: (You can use whole or freshly ground black peppercorns).
- 1 teaspoon of paprika. (You can use any type of paprika you like, such as sweet, smoked, or hot depending on your preference).
- 1 teaspoon of cumin. (You can use whole or ground cumin seeds).
- 2 cloves of garlic. (You can use either fresh or minced garlic).
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder. (You can use mild, medium, or hot depending on your preference).
- 1 pound of ground beef. ( You can use any type of ground beef you like, such as lean, regular, or fatty. You can also use ground turkey, chicken, or pork if you prefer).
- 1 large onion. ( You can use any kind of onion you like, such as yellow, white, red, or sweet onion).
- Prepare 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. (You can use regular or roasted garlic powder).
- 2 cups of tomato sauce. (You can use canned or homemade tomato sauce).
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can (15 ounces) of kidney beans. (You can use canned or cooked kidney beans- Drained) )
- 4 small round bread loaves. (You can use any type of bread you like, such as white, wheat, rye, or sourdough, etc..).
- Get 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels (optional)
- Shredded cheese. (You can use any type of cheese you like, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, pepper jack , etc..).
- Sour cream. (You can use regular or light sour cream)
- Sliced Jalapenos. (You can use fresh or pickled).
- 2 teaspoons of beef bouillon. (You can use beef bouillon cubes or granules).
Instructions To Make Chili Con Carne Bowl:
- Cook beef in large skillet over medium heat, stirring to crumble until beef is browned. This part will take about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Chop the onion and fry for 3 or 4 minutes until the onions are softened, then add the garlic. Fry another 1 minute until fragrant.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Put the beef, chopped onion, garlic, beef broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, paprika, 2 tsp beef bouillon, cayenne and pepper in a large pot or slow cooker.
- After you stir the spice mix into the pot, let it cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch that the spices don’t burn. If they start to get too dark, deglaze the pot with a splash of water.
- Cover, with the lid slightly ajar, and let simmer for 2 – 3 hours stirring occasionally to ensure the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Cut off the top of each bread loaf and scoop out the inside, leaving about an inch of bread around the edge. (Save the bread pieces for dipping into).
- Spoon the chili into each bread bowl and top with shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced jalapenos, or any other toppings you prefer.
- Enjoy your chili con carne bowl while it is hot, or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Remove the lid and turn the heat back up to medium. If the chili’s still watery, give it a few minutes to boil off and reduce. Add the kidney beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Give it a taste and add extra salt as required. Finish by adding the corn (if using). Put the lid back on and let the chili sit for at least 15 minutes before eating.
- Serve with a topping of grated cheddar cheese and /or a dollop of sour cream.
This easy chilli con carne bowl recipe has loads of flavor. Aside from using a bread bowl, you can serve it with rice, on jacket potatoes, or even nachos.
“Chili con Carne” is three little words that describe such a wonderful meal. It literally translates from Spanish to “Chili with Meat”, and as generic as that sounds, it is filled with fantastic flavor.
This Chilli Con Carne bowl is a classic, and a belly warming dish of meaty, spicy joy.
Looking for another great Tex-Mex dish? Try our “Nachos With Jalapenos” recipe .