Dill and Cheddar Scones are a delicious blend of flavors that make a perfect snack, appetizer, dessert, or even a great addition to your favorite soup or salad. These scones have a rich and cheesy tastiness with the subtle hint of dill.
A Few Fun Facts About The Components For This Recipe:
- A fun fact about the word “Dill”, is that it came from the ancient Norse word, “dylla” which means to sooth or calm. Since ancient times, dill has also been used as a seasoning.
- Cheddar cheese is the most popular of all chesses in the United Kingdom, and it takes just over 1 gallon of whole milk to make a pound of cheddar cheese.
- Scones were originally much larger than they are today, and the word “scones” was first used in the year 1513. They don’t include any yeast, and are closer to a pastry than bread.
This recipe to make these scones is pretty easy and straightforward. You can make it using only 8 ingredients, and 11 easy steps.
Ingredients To Make Dill And Cheddar Scones:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of shredded or chopped cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup or (1 stick) unsalted butter, ( make sure it’s frozen for at least 15 minutes)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Fresh chives and dill ( About 1/4 cup )
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Instructions To Make Dill And Cheddar Scones:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture and mix until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese, fresh chives, and dill.
- Pour in the buttermilk and stir until it’s just combined. Do not overmix it though.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it gently and lightly for about a minute.
- Roll out the dough until it’s about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Cut the dough into squares, and then cut diagonally to form triangles.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- If you’re feeling naughty sprinkle some sugar over the scones, too.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
These dill and cheddar scones are not just delicious, but they also have a history within their layers. Whether you’re hosting a brunch party or looking for a quick snack, these scones are a great choice to make.
If you’re looking for another great appetizer or snack to make try our recipe for Quiche Du Jour. Enjoy!