Onion and Tomato Chutney is a delicious blend of savory flavors that make it a terrific addition to a variety of meals. This chutney, with its rich and tangy flavor along with the subtle hint of spices, is sure to be a hit at the dinner table.
Some Interesting Fact About Chutney:
It’s typically served with breakfast, but it can also be served as a side dish or with rice, fish, chicken, and so forth. Chutney, in and of itself can be made with almost any vegetables, and its consistency is very much like jam. The only differences are the ingredients that are used, and the tastes are completely different.
For instance, chutney is made with vinegar, unlike jam, giving it a more savory flavor, and not sweet like jam. However, it’s still very delicious.
The recipe for this chutney is pretty straightforward. You can make onion and tomato chutney using 6 ingredients and 12 steps.
Ingredients To Make Onion And Tomato Chutney:
- 1 large red onion
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 red chili pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs of Honey
Instructions To Make Onion And Tomato Chutney:
- Peel and slice the red onion.
- Mince the garlic cloves as well.
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large pan on high heat. Add the onions and saute’ for 1 minute until softened. Add the garlic and saute’ another 1 minute.
- Chop the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Mince the red chili pepper and take the seeds out.
- Strain the onion and garlic
- Stir and combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Simmer the chutney over medium heat, and stir occasionally.
- Give it a taste test and adjust the seasoning to your preference.
- Let it simmer 40 minutes to 1 hour (Or until the chutney has a consistency like jam).
- As soon as it’s done, transfer the chutney to a jar while it’s still hot.
- Let the chutney cool completely and refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.
As I stated before, this onion and tomato chutney can be served with a variety of different things. You can even make a big batch of it and refrigerate it for a later day. You’re sure to enjoy this tangy delicacy!
If you’re looking for a great dinner to make, try our Baked Fish Tacos recipe. Enjoy!