Spanish rice, is also known as Mexican rice or arroz rojo. It’s a popular dish in many Latin American cuisines, and is made by cooking white rice with tomato sauce, chicken broth, onion, garlic, and a variety of spices. It’s usually served as a side dish with meat, beans, salad, or tacos.
With making Spanish rice from scratch you have to chop the onion and garlic, sauté it in oil, add the rice and toast it until golden, then add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, and spices. You also have to keep an eye on the pot and stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan or burning.
That’s why this Spanish rice with salsa recipe is a game-changer.
Salsa is a condiment that is versatile and adds a burst of flavor, color, and texture to any dish. It’s made with tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeño peppers, lime juice, salt, and sometimes can include other ingredients such as corn, black beans, mango, or pineapple. You can use store bought salsa, or make your own homemade salsa for this recipe.
The best part is that this Spanish rice with salsa recipe is super easy to prepare. You just need to rinse the rice in water to remove excess starch, then add it to a saucepan with water, salt, and salsa. Stir briefly and cover with a lid. Heat to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the water is absorbed by the rice. The Spanish rice is done when the rice is soft and the salsa is well incorporated.
So what are you waiting for? Try this Spanish rice with salsa recipe today and see for yourself how easy and delicious it is. You will most likely never go back to the traditional way of making Spanish rice again!
You can make Spanish rice with salsa using 13 ingredients and 6 steps.
The Ingredients Needed To Make Spanish Rice with Salsa:
- 2 cups white long grain rice, rinsed
- 4 cubes/4 tablespoons chicken bouillon, in 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, or juice of 2 limes + zest
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 1 (12.5 oz) can chunk chicken breast, or fresh chicken breast cooked and chopped into pieces / chunks.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Salt and pepper,
Steps To Make Spanish Rice With Salsa:
- Melt the butter in a high sided pan or Dutch oven. On medium heat, toast the rinsed rice in melted butter.
- Add tomato paste and lime juice to the toasted rice and stir to incorporate it. Add chicken broth made with chicken bouillon (canned chicken stock also works) and stir rice again.
- Add onion flakes, salt and pepper, cumin, garlic, and paprika to rice in stock. Cover rice in stock and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- When the rice has started to absorb cooking liquid, add a can of drained Rotel tomatoes and chilis. Stir to incorporate and cover to cook.
- When the rice is nearly cooked throughout, ( Optional: add the canned chicken, or fresh chicken chunks breaking up the large chunks). Stir to incorporate and cover to cook.
- Remove the rice from heat when it has absorbed all of the cooking liquid. Add cheese, leaving some for topping. Stir to incorporate. Add one last handful of cheese to the top, and replace lid to melt it. Enjoy as a meal itself, or as a side dish to your favorite tex-mex entree.
That’s it! You have a delicious Spanish rice with salsa ready in less than 30 minutes. You can enjoy it as it is or garnish it with some chopped cilantro or cheese for extra flavor. You can also adjust the spiciness level by using mild, medium, or hot salsa according to your preference.
This Spanish rice with salsa recipe is perfect for busy evenings when you need an easy side dish. It’s also great for parties and other occasions when you need to feed a crowd without spending too much time in the kitchen, or money out of your pocket. It goes well with grilled chicken, steak, pork chops, fish, or shrimp. You can also serve it with beans, salad, guacamole, sour cream, and/or tortilla chips for a complete Mexican feast.
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of water. You can also use them to make burritos, quesadillas, fried rice, or stuffed peppers.
This recipe is super simple and easy to do, and only takes about 20 minutes to make all in all. Enjoy your Spanish rice with salsa!
If you’re looking for a great appetizer recipe to go with this, ( it’s not a Mexican appetizer, but Brazilian, and still a satisfying one), try our Delicious Brazilian Cheesy Bread Recipe.