Easy baklava is a delicious and sweet dessert that is made with layers of phyllo pastry, nuts, and honey or syrup. It’s a classic dessert that has been enjoyed for centuries and is still popular today.
Baklava originated in the Middle East and the exact origin of baklava is unclear, but it is believed to have originated in the Assyrian Empire around 800 B.C. The first version of baklava was unleavened bread topped with nuts and drenched in honey. A more evolved version of baklava was made centuries later in the Ottoman Empire during the 15th century. There was a cookbook discovered from a palace in Constantinople that already had Baklava in it as a recipe and a favorite dessert. Those of high society and royalty even ate Baklava.
You can cook easy baklava using 12 ingredients and 14 steps.
The ingredients needed to make Easy Baklava:
- 1 1/2 cup pistachio
- 1 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 packages phyllo dough sheets (fillo)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
Instructions to make Easy Baklava:
- Thaw phyllo dough according to the directions on the package.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a food processor, combine all the filling ingredients and pulse a few times to mix the nuts as well as grind them down into pieces.
- On low heat, melt your butter in a sauce pan.
- Open the phyllo dough and lay out flat. Trim the sheets of dough to fit a 9″x3″ baking pan (casserole dish). Split the dough into four equal stacks. They dont have to be perfect numbers.
- Lay first stack of dough into pan. Next sprinkle some of the filling on top. Repeat this step two more times. Lastly, add the final layer of dough on top. Feel free to do as many layers as you like and make it as thick as you like.
- Cut the pastry into 24 squares. Remove foamy white part from melted butter. Pour melted butter over all the pastry evenly.
- Bake pastry for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow time to cool off and become crispy.
- Meanwhile, while the baklava is baking, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir and ensure all sugar is dissolved.
- Add honey and bring it back to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for ten minutes.
- Once the pastry has cooled off, pour syrup over all the pastry evenly.
- Allow the pastry time to rest up to as many as 15 hours in order to enjoy the baklava at its finest.
- Cut a diagonal diamond pattern in the baklava using a very sharp knife. Cut the baklava after assembly and before cooking, and top with butter to make everything smooth and “pretty”.
The results are scrumptious and well worth the effort. If you are not making phyllo sheets from scratch, it is really so easy to make baklava using the packaged phyllo.
Easy Baklava is a wonderful dessert and you can even give them as gifts during the holidays.