Salmon with mushroom risotto is a meal that combines seared or baked salmon fillets with a creamy, flavorful risotto made with mushrooms. Risotto alone is a traditional Italian dish that uses a type of rice called arborio. It has a high amount of starch and can absorb a lot of liquid without losing its shape.
By cooking the rice slowly, and gradually adding hot broth, you can create a smooth and creamy texture that coats each grain of rice. Mushrooms add protein and fiber as well as a rich, earthy flavor to the risotto, and salmon adds a tender, juicy contrast. It’s a perfect dish for a special occasion or a cozy night in, especially if you love seafood.
Salmon with mushroom risotto has a balanced and satisfying taste. The salmon has a mild and delicate flavor, and it goes well with the savory and nutty flavor of the risotto. The mushrooms add a depth and complexity to the dish, while the cheese adds a touch of creaminess. The herbs add freshness and aroma, while the lemon juice adds a hint of contrast to the taste, making the whole thing savory.
Salmon with mushroom risotto is a healthy meal choice that provides many nutrients for your body. It’s high in protein, which helps to build and repair your muscles and tissues.
You can make salmon with mushroom risotto using 16 ingredients and 10 steps.
The Ingredients Needed To Make Salmon With Mushroom Risotto:
- 4 Cups chicken broth ( You can use homemade or store-bought ).
- 4 salmon fillets. You can use fresh or frozen salmon, depending on your preference. ( You can also use any type of salmon you like, such as sockeye, coho, king, or Atlantic).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 Oz. Portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 Oz. white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 Shallot or small onion, diced (Onion adds sweetness and aroma).
- 1 1/2 Cup Arborio rice (This is a special type of rice that is used for making risotto. It has a high starch content that makes them creamy and sticky when it’s cooked).
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare 2 tablespoons butter, 2 teaspoons butter
- Get 1/2 Cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (Alternatively you can also use other types of cheese, such as Pecorino Romano, Asiago, or Gruyere).
- Spices (optional) – You will most likely want some spices to season the salmon and add flavor. You can use any added spices you like, such as garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or cumin.
- Herbs (optional)- You can use any herbs you like, such as parsley, thyme, rosemary, or sage. Herbs add freshness and depth.
- Butter: You will need some butter to cook the mushrooms and the rice for the risotto. Butter adds richness and flavor to the dish.
- 2 cloves Garlic (Garlic adds spice and fragrance)
- 1 lemon (You can use the juice and the zest of the lemon for more flavor).
Instructions To Make Salmon With Mushroom Risotto:
- Separately heat broth on low heat
- Preheat your oven to 375°F
- Season the salmon fillets with salt, pepper, and your choice of spices. Drizzle some olive oil over them and rub it all over.
- Put them on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are cooked through.
- Put the salmon on a plate and keep it warm.
- In a large saucepan or wok style pan, over medium heat, melt some butter and a drizzle of olive oil to cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then set aside.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir to coat with the butter and mushroom mixture. Stir continuously and consistently coat rice with oil. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the rice is slightly toasted.
- Add the broth to the pot. Add only one cup at a time, stirring constantly and waiting for each cup to be absorbed before adding the next one. This will take about 20 to 25 minutes, until the rice is creamy.
- Stir in the cheese, herbs, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Take a taste test and season it with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the salmon on top of the risotto. Garnish it with more cheese, herbs, or lemon if desired if you wish.
This savory salmon with mushroom risotto recipe is sure to be a hit! If you’re looking for a delicious dessert to go with this, try our Anthony Bourdain 3-Layer Cheesecake recipe.